Change Of Circumstances – Inform Your Insurer

When you apply for car insurance there are a range of questions that you are asked on the documentation. For instance, your name. address, date of birth, occupation, make and model of car to be insured, the number of miles you travel in a car each year, what you use the car for and if you have any driving convictions to name but a few.

If you get divorced then your motor insurance may cost more

Getting divorced may result in an increase in your car insurance premiums.

One of the reasons why you are asked numerous questions is to establish the level of risk both you and the vehicle present to the insurer in terms of how likely it is that you may end up submitting a claim on your motor insurance policy perhaps due to being involved in a road traffic accident or your car being stolen.

It is quite possible that during the lifetime of having car insurance in place that your circumstances may change. For instance, you may move addresses or you may get divorced. There are certain occasions when you need to let your car insurer know about your change in circumstances some of which we mention below although there may well be other occasions when you need to notify them. Changes in circumstances could lead to the car insurance premium either remaining unchanged, increase or decrease.

For instance, if you anticipate that you are going to increase the number of miles that you will be driving your car in a year then the insurer will need to know as the more miles you do then the greater you are at risk of being involved in a road traffic accident.

If you move addresses then the location that you have moved to live in may be more or less renowned for cars being stolen so this may affect the premium you are charged.

If your occupation changes then you need to inform the insurer as what you do for a living can impact on the premium you pay as people in certain occupations are perceived to be at greater risk of being involved in a road traffic accident.

What you use the car for can affect the cost of your cover. For instance, if you used to drive to one place of work and use the car for social, domestic and pleasure purposes then fully comprehensive cover for these uses may be suitable. However, if you have to travel to more than one place of work such as spending a couple of days a week working in your employer’s office in London and spend the remaining three days working in their Manchester office then you would also need to incorporate cover for Class I Business use in your comprehensive cover.

If you have got divorced or become unemployed then you need to inform your insurer as this may affect how much you will have to pay for your cover in the future.

You need to inform your insurer if you make any modifications to your car such as to the bodywork or if you have an alarm fitted.

We trust that the above is of benefit and helps ensure that you have no problems should you need to claim on your car insurance policy.

This entry was posted in News and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.